Tuesday, September 18, 2007

#9. Social Bookmarking (week 6): Del.icio.us

Del.icio.us was pretty straight forward. It seems like a good way to organize bookmarks, and since its on the web, they can be accessed from anywhere, which is nice. Yahoo recently bought Del.icio.us which means that it will be around for awhile and isn't just a passing fad. This is also good.

My favorite part of Del.icio.us the the cloud view that organizes your tags. I am partial to this style of display, because it allows the user to quickly sort out the most popular/relevant tags.

Del.icio.us was a little difficult for me to get into because the layout of the site was not very appealing. It seems like there are so many web tools out there that people claim will save me so much time, organize my stuff for me, or make my life so much easier; but, if I used all of these sites I would never have time for anything else.

Organizing my book marks isn't that important to me, I think the that the real value of sites like Del.icio.us are when they can be applied to academics. This site could be very useful for allowing student to seek out the most recent and up to date information in their field of choice. Finding articles on the latest medical breakthroughs, conservation biology, etc. will be much easier and consequently faster with sites like this.

No comments: