Tuesday, September 18, 2007

#8. Second Life (week 5)

Second Life seems very interesting. The article that I read about it predicts that Second Life will not necessarily be revolutionary in regards to changing libraries and the way we use libraries, but rather it is a major step in the that direction. After exploring Second Life a little more, I would have to agree with that notion.

I watched the video from SJSU and was very impressed with how they intended to use second life. I think that using it to enhance the distance learning program is a wonderful use of technology. This has the potential to allow more people to seek higher education.

As far as using second life to enhance libraries, I believe there is promise there. Many of the services that the library offers could potentially be fulfilled in a well designed user friendly environment. However, as a student, there were times when I wanted to go to the library, and thumb through books, study in a quiet space, or get a break from using the computer. All of these activities cannot be done in the virtual world.

I am very interested to see the role that virtual reality programs like Second Life will play in future libraries.

No comments: