Tuesday, September 18, 2007

#12. Wikis 1 (week 7)

This was my first introduction to what a wiki truly is. Prior to this lesson my only experience with wikis was the website wikipedia.org. I love wikipedia, several times a week a will read something, hear something on the radio, or see something on tv and I think, "Man, I wish I knew more about ________." Then I head to the nearest computer type in my search request, and, instant gratification. In five minutes or less I can become an expert on practically anything I want to know.

The only danger of relying on wikis or wikipedia for supplying my information is it can be updated by any one. This allows information on the web almost instantaneously, however, its not always the most accurate information. Other than that one caveat, wikis are a great way to get up to the minute information....as long as we know that the there is a slight chance that the information is completely fictional.

Using wikis in the Library would be a great way for us to gather information and ideas from people around the world. Two heads are better than one, right? Well, with wikis we have the potential to add a whole lot of heads.

No comments: