Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Thing #5 RSS & Newsreaders 1: Explore Bloglines

My Bloglines account is all set up! I have 18 feeds set up. I am excited at the prospect of having the news delivered to one website. It's like having a daily newspaper delivered that only has articles pertaining to my interests. RSS feeds are supposed to save us time, but I am beginning to get the feeling that with all of this exciting information being delivered right to me from a broader scope of sources than I generally consult, that I will be spending more time reading the news. By clicking a few links I have managed to create a healthy list of interesting topics that will only grow as my comfort level with RSS feeds grows.

I went from checking 3-5 websites on a regular basis to having 18 (a number that will surely grow) websites delivery new stories to me. Some of my favorites that I have found are: an RSS feed that has clips from the Daily Show, a feed to the Alternative Energy Blog, and a feed to the headlines from the Science section of the New York Times.

While all of these exercises have been interesting so far, sometimes I lose site of the practical application of these programs to the library. RSS feeds could be very useful for updating students, patrons, staff, and faculty about Library events. Whether it is a new exhibit, information on the addition, or information on classes offered at the library RSS feeds could efficiently get that message out to many people.

No comments: